Record Release (7-inch)
(2014 – in progress)
7 different publications are planned, the series of 7 will each include 77 grooveless 7-inch opaque white vinyl records (pictured here). Each publication will include photo and text documentation plus details on how to download the connected audio files.
Each hand holds the equivalent in weight of one side of a 7-inch record, often dubbed a single. In this piece, opaque white vinyl pellets equivalent in weight to a 7-inch record (50 grams = approx. 1900 pellets) are released in situ. Each time I record the ambient sound, after which I use the accumulated audio clips to assemble an audio portrait of the site which is then (metaphorically) pressed on a 7-inch record.
Normally, a record release celebrates the culmination of a recording project. Like a book launch, it marks the moment where a work leaves the artist’s hands and seeks an audience. Record Release is a project that reverses that process and includes the act of releasing as part of the recording process itself. Record Release involves using the raw material used to manufacture vinyl records which comes in small pellets. These lentil-sized bits of petroleum product come in this form because they are easily transportable and manipulable before they get melted and stamped with grooves of sound. This is a sound project which focuses on one of the standard physical support materials of sound and utilizes these tiny units of potential sound in a gestural manner to produce not only audio material but also images, video content and a slew of data related to the process of dissemination involved.
• April 12, 2014 – Times Square (Max Neuhaus)
• April 14, 2014 – Harvard Square (Cage’s 4’33”)
• May 25, 2014 – Bruce Peninsula
• July 11, 2014 – La Scala (bathroom), Milan
• July 12, 2014 – Prada Foundation, Venice (Art or Sound exhibition)
• August 26, 2014 – Silo City, Buffalo
• October 18, 2014 – Huronia Regional Center(bathtub)
• September 27, 2014 – Tote, Melbourne (on stage)
• December 17, 2014 – Teatro Colon (bathroom)
• December 21, 2014 – Carlos Gardel monument
• December 26, 2014 – Recoleta cemetery (crypt vent)
• June 1-5, 2015 – Avatar, Québec City (recording session)
• July 16-17, 2015 – kunstradio, Vienna (recording session)
• June 9, 2015 – Suoni per il Popolo, Montreal
• June 12-14, 2015 – Silo City, Buffalo
• September 5, 2015 – INTERsection, Toronto
• September 27, 2015 – Kunstradio, Vienna
• November 21, 2015 – Tuning Speculation III,Toronto
• Toronto Arts Council