Record Release (12-inch) Videos
The Record Release 12-inch project is nearing completion (6442 out of 6642 pellets have been released.
The videos were produced with a Max/MSP patch that enable the image series to be played back over any desired duration. The ones I will be primarily working with are 33, 45, and 78 minutes—referencing the three standard RPM (Revolutions per Minute) speeds found on turntables. But the patch enables it to be set to play back over any duration: one hour, one day, one week, length of an exhibition, etc.
The rate of playback is determined by the original timestamp of the images of the series that shows each pellet released into the world (on a hand, a ledge, a railing, somebody else’s artwork, etc.). In other words, the playback rate is proportional to the time it took me to release the 6642 pellets. The project started in 2012 and is scheduled to finish in May 2019.
The audio on the videos consists of: a) the title of each image is spoken by a synthesized text-to-speech voice; b) a sine wave with a frequency determined by the image number, i.e. image no. 1909 = 1.909kHz tone; c) the amount of green and red in each image of series 1 is analyzed and produces a modulation of the tone sound.
The following videos were all set for playback of the 6442 pellets currently released in 33 minutes.
1) Record Release 12-inch (strobe A) (12 minutes, 0 to 12)
– voice: Xander, with sine and fm sound
2) Record Release 12-inch (strobe B) (12 minutes, 0 to 12)
– voice: Melina, with sine and fm sound
3) Record Release 12-inch (side-by-side strobes) (three 1 minute excerpts, 0-1, 14-15, 32-33)
– voice: Vicky, with sine and fm sound
4) Record Release 12-inch (side-by-side) (12 minutes, 15 to 27)*
– voice: Moira, no sine or fm sound
The home page for this project contains more info and links to the various other works connected to this project.